At this month’s DECA State Conference at Dover Downs Hotel & Casino in Dover, 40 Concord students competed in a wide range of competitive events along with hundreds of other students from across the state, and finished with 15 event finalists. Concord had one of the largest delegations. Students started preparing for their events months in advance, doing mock role plays and taking practice tests. Students even took part in DECA Day in their Marketing classes.
The competition worked with half the score being decided by a DECA Test in one of four Career Clusters - Marketing, Accounting, Business Management & Hospitality, and Tourism. Students then competed in events in front of a panel of judges where they did a role play, a mock business situation for which they had 15 to 30 minutes to prepare ahead of time. Students competed individually or in pairs. During the day, students also took part in workshops and were fed lunch and dinner. Concord DECA had one of its largest groups of winners in chapter history (listed below).
Concord DECA’s President, junior Alex Russo, was proud of his chapter: “I’m so happy about our performance this year. Our test scores are up as well as our number of winners.” When asked about attending the DECA International Career Development Conference in Nashville this April, he said, “You bet we’re going. Last year, we didn’t go at all and one of my goals this year was for us to attend…. In fact, we already have interest from around 10 of our winners.” He also wanted to thank everyone who helped make this year’s Concord DECA the best yet: “I just want to thank my two outstanding Vice Presidents, Brooke Cooper and Lillian Taylor, as well our chapter advisors Ms. Dulin and Ms. Short who dedicate themselves to their students and Concord DECA!”
Concord DECA is on the way up.
- Kristen Chou, first place, Automotive Services Marketing
- Giovanni Pollock and Ben Zinner, first place, Business Law and Ethics
- Alec Augustine, second place, Business Services Marketing
- Jordan Al-Amin and Brooke Cooper, third place, Buying and Merchandising
- Albert “Buddy” Watkins, first place, Food Marketing
- Lillian Taylor and Nicole Thomas, second place, Hospitality Services
- Alex Russo, first place, Hotel and Lodging Management
- Jessica Brockson and Katie Lapinski, first place, Marketing Communications
- Sam Dao, first place, Marketing Management
- Meera Kripalu and Mathew Krueger, second place, Travel and Tourism.